South Community College (SCC) is structured like a typical community college. They have 3 semesters and a multitude of courses. Each course may have any number of sections in a given semester. For example, CTS2437 (SQL Server) may have one or more sections being taught in any given semester. SCC has 3 semesters (fall, spring, summer) which they refer to as A, B, and C. They refer to semesters by the year and the semester code. For example, fall 2011 would be referred to as 2011A. They need to keep track of students, courses, schedules, instructors, and grades earned in each course taken. They need a database to maintain these information.
The student information would include the student name, address, phone#, and email. Students may have taken or are taking any number of courses. The grade earned for each course must also be maintained. The course information would include the course title and number of credits. Keep in mind that a given course may have many sections in any particular semester. SCC needs to maintain the instructor for each section in addition to the students and the grade they earned. The instructor information would include the instructor name, phone#, office#, and email address. South needs to maintain all courses that the instructor has taught or is currently teaching.
Some of the requirements that SCC has requested in the database system include:
• Student cannot register for the same section more than once.
• A roaster of students can be produced for any given section.
• GPA (Grade Point Average) can be generated for a student for any given semester, year, or entire school career.
• GPA is calculated by adding up all of the grades earned (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0) and dividing by the number of credits associated with the courses taken.
• A transcript can be produced for a given student showing all courses taken and grades earned.